Frugal Family: Book Sale, Art Festival, Cruises and More
Your local source for the scoop on family friendly resources and fun on a budget.
Here is our weekly round-up of events and deals in and around town:
- What’s the deal? Booksale Blast with Events for All Ages
- When: Members Only Preview: Thursday, Sept. 8, 4 – 8:30 p.m.; Open to All: Friday, Sept. 9, 10:30 am – 5:30 pm; Saturday, Sept. 10, 10:30 am – 4:30 pm; and Sunday, Sept. 11, 1:15 – 4:30 pm;
- Where: Beatley Library, 5005 Duke St., Alexandria
- Cost: Free! (or become a member for $10 to attend member preview)
- Details: Children's events on Saturday, Sept. 11, 10:15 a.m. – 3:45 p.m. Learn more.
- What's the deal? $20 for $40 Worth of Goods at the Purple Goose
- When: Buy deal voucher by Sunday, Sept. 11 and use by Jan. 31, 2012
- Where: Purple Goose, 2005 Mt. Vernon Ave., Alexandria
- Cost: $20
- Details: Purchase voucher online
- What’s the deal? Alexandria Waterfront Days
- When: Sunday, Sept. 11, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: 105 N. Union St., Alexandria (behind the Torpedo Factory Art Center)
- Cost: Free!
- Details: Enjoy art, family fun and musical entertainment at the marina.
- What’s the deal? Alexandria Festival of the Arts
- When: Saturday, Sept. 10, 10 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Sunday, Sept. 11, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: City Hall between King St. and Cameron St. at N. Royal St. and N. Fairfax St.
- Cost: Free!
- Details: King Street will be transformed into a world-class outdoor art gallery when the festival booths line King St. between S. Washington St. and Union St. – over six blocks of artwork!
- What’s the deal? Alexandria Seaport Cruise
- When: Daily, except Mondays
- Where: Potomac Riverboat Company, 1 Cameron St., Alexandria
- Cost: $12 for adults; $6 for children (ages 2 – 11)
- Details: Enjoy a 40-minute, narrated sightseeing tour aboard the Admiral Tilp where history comes alive. Narration turns back the pages of time with history, legend, and endearing folklore. The charm of this colonial seaport, settled by Scottish immigrants, continues today with unique shops, pubs, restaurants, and galleries perfect for strolling and leisurely diversions. For a cruise departure schedule visit the website.
- What’s the deal? $7.95 Thai Lunch Special
- When: Weekdays, 11:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Sam Phao Thai Cuisine, 1019 King St., Alexandria
- Cost: $7.95 per person
- Details: Special includes a cup of fresh vegetable soup and one spring roll. For list of specials, visit website. Not available on holidays.
Know of a good deal? Tell us about it!
If your business or organization offers great deals for families, tell us about it so we can help spread the word. Contact us at email@example.com or submit deals, discounts and offers here.