Green and Simple: Waste-Free Lunch Gear
Whether preparing lunches for kids who are heading back to school or yourself, these resources will help you select the right gear and prepare healthy waste-free lunches for all.
Earlier this year I published 10 Tips & Tools for Waste-Free Lunches. With the little ones heading back to school, here are a few additional resources to help you make your lunches waste-free.
Local Sources for Eco-friendly Lunch Gear:
- Why Not? on King Street has a good selection of fun and eco-friendly lunch gear from Crocodile Creek, including stainless steel water bottles, thermoses and lunch bags.
- Whole Foods carries a small section of Crocodile Creek lunch bags, and Lunchopolis and Laptop lunch kits.
- My Organic Market on Mt. Vernon Avenue also a good selection of lunch gear, including Lunchopolis lunch kits, Lunchskins reusable sandwich and snack bags, bamboo utensils, recycled paper sandwhich and snack bags, and more. Contessa's Gifts on Mt. Vernon Avenue also has a good selection of Lunchskins, including the harder-to-find snack size bags.
Online Sources for Eco-Friendly Lunch Gear:
- My personal favorite is the all-in-one stainless steel lunch box by PlanetBox. A little pricey for the complete set, but a worthwhile and lasting investment.
- Kids Konserve also offers a great selection of stainless steel lunch containers and reusable gear including bags, coffee mugs and more.
- ReUseIt.com also offers a wide selection of reusable gear, including lunch gear for kids of all ages.
- Laptop Lunches are a popular hit, with their bento-box approach. They are made using recycled and recyclable plastic.
Resources About Healthy Waste-Free Lunches:
- Not sure if it is worth the investment? While the upfront costs might be high, as this cost comparison by Kids Konserve shows, waste-free lunches do pay off in the long run (and, there is no waste!).
- WasteFreeLunches.com offers resources for individuals who want to bring waste-free lunches to their school cafeteria or place of employment.
Whether you pack lunches for yourself, your spouse or partner, your kids or all of the above, make your lunches waste free!