Yes, Virginia, There are Places Open on Christmas
12 places we've found in Alexandria and nearby that are open on Christmas Day
The much anticipated Christmas Day has arrived and now it stretches before you like a yawn. The game is blaring, the kids are running on hyper-manic and the dishes are awaiting some form of taming. Escape meanders into your mind. But isn't everything closed? Not quite. Here are a few treasures Patch has found planning to stay open for your convenience on Christmas Day.
- To start off, fill the tank for an afternoon drive at the Shell Station at 1600 Mount Vernon Ave. (703-836-3135). Get there early, they want to close by 4pm. You can also gas up at the Liberty Station at 700 S. Patrick St. (703-836-5136) from 6am through 11pm.
- Drive on over to the gorgeously decorated grounds of the Mount Vernon Estates. How long has it been since you last visited? The gardens are decked for the holidays with 12 Christmas trees making this a truly lovely way to spend your afternoon. The estates are located at 3200 George Washington Memorial Parkway (703-780-2000).
- Escape to the movies at either Old Town Theater situated at 815 1/2 King St. (703-683-8888) or Potomac Yard's Regal Cinema at 3575 Jefferson Davis Hwy. (703-739-4040).
- Need a quick trip to the store? You'll find 7–Eleven at 2108 Mt. Vernon Ave. (703-684-1943) open 6am to midnight and Walgreen's at 619 King St. (703-837-8691) open from 9am to 6pm.
- Mia's Market located at 3122 Mount Vernon Ave. (703-837-9790) plans to stay open if you find you are missing any key ingredients on the menu or need some extra game time munchies.
- If you want someone else to do breakfast for you, IHOP, also known as the International House of Pancakes, will be open until 3pm Christmas Day. It's located in the Potomac Yard Shopping Center at 3425A Jefferson Davis Highway (703-519-4220).
- Brabo's Tasting Room at 1602 King St. (703-894-3440) is open 12 pm through 8 pm, or The Majestic Lounge 2000 Mt. Vernon Ave. (703-549-5051) is open at 6pm are two of our best finds for Christmas Day get aways.
- Murphy's Grand Irish Pub at 713 King St. (703-548-1717) is open from 5pm to 1am and will feature a traditional holiday dinner with all the trimmings. Live entertainment will be provided by Rocky and Ronan.
- Find solace and celebration at Christ Church, 118 N. Washington St. (703-549-1450). Service will be held at 10am.
- Plan early and leave the cooking and clean up to the professionals by taking the Dandy Dinner Cruise leaving from Old Town's waterfront (703-683-6076) Arrive at 6:30pm. Launch is at 7 and they'll have you back by 10. Choose a price or hunger range from either a three- or five-course menu. Pay parking won't be a problem, as the City of Alexandria is suspending parking regulations for the day.
- Here is one Patch find that's sure to please! Leslie at Alexandria Massage Therapy, 1217 Prince St., will graciously set aside Christmas afternoon to lull you back to sanity with a full body massage. Call 703-548-0310 for your appointment.
- And while this event takes you all the way across the river and out of Alexandria, we felt it was worth mentioning. The All-Star Christmas Day Jazz Jam, a free event at the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage beginning at 6 p.m.
Now you know your options. Be extra quiet as you slip out the back door.