The holiday season is here and that means Alexandria communities seek volunteers for many and different causes.
The Alexandria Patches are highlighting good causes seeking volunteers during this holiday season. If you'd like your initiative to be featured, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This week's volunteer spotlight shines on:
Who: Carpenter's Shelter
What: Multiple opportunities are available.
- The shelter is seeking winter shelter volunteers to serve at the seasonal shelter to help set up beds, assist with intake and process paperwork. Available shifts run through April from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
- David's Place volunteers help in assisting program staff in delivering services to members of Carpenter's Shelter drop-in day shelter for the chronically homeless. Projects include membership intake and answering phones. Available shifts include Monday through Friday 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Adminstrative volunteers are needed to work on the front desk by answering phones and greeting visitors. Two- to four-hour shifts are available every day from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m.
- Shelter helpers are needed ot assist the administrative office with mailings and special event preparation. Flexible weekday hours are available.
- Adult education vounteers can act as job coaches working with residents seeking to find or retain employment by assisting with resumes, employment applications and job search skills.
- Children's Program volunteers can assist with facilitating menaingful acticities wiht shelter and Community Case Managed Clients.
Where: Carpenter's Shelter, 930 N. Henry St., Alexandria, VA 22314
Why: Help the homelss transition back to independent living.
Contact: Carpenter's Shelter Volunteer Coordinator Liz Salter via email at email@example.com or by phone 703-548-7500 x213.