In the wake of the unimaginable tragedy at Sandy Hook School, people from all over the world—in Connecticut, California, Canada and much farther away in Australia and India—sent an outpouring of support and want to know how they can help.
- The United Way of Western Connecticut, in partnership with Newtown Savings Bank, created the Sandy Hook School Support Fund to help provide support services to the families and community that are affected.
Check donations may be mailed to:
Sandy Hook School Support Fund
c/o Newtown Savings Bank
39 Main Street, Newtown CT 06470
If you have questions on the fund, you may call 800-461-0672.
- The “My Sandy Hook Family Fund" has been established by local Sandy Hook, CT parents and friends dedicated to providing support the victims' families.
The following information comes from a user-generated Announcement posted on Newtown Patch:
- Snowflakes for Sandy Hook: Please help the students of Sandy Hook have a winter wonderland at their new school! Get Creative!! No two snowflakes are alike. Make and send snowflakes to Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514, by January 12, 2013.
- Coins for Sandy Hook: Students can collect spare change to support their peers at Sandy Hook. Other fundraising ideas include Walk- A -Thons, Spirit Days, Pajama Days, etc. Please send contributions to “Connecticut PTSA Sandy Hook Fund” by Feb. 14.
- Ongoing Fundraising Efforts: Donations are being accepted indefinitely to the: “Connecticut PTSA Sandy Hook Fund” to support the ongoing needs of the Sandy Hook Community. Send checks to “Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514.
Mail snowflakes or donations to: Connecticut PTSA, 60 Connolly Parkway, Building 12, Suite 103, Hamden, CT 06514. Phone: 203-281-6617
- For a list of obituaries and charities from the families of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting victims, click here.
- The U.S. Postal Service has set up a post office box for the public to send its condolences to Newtown. You can send letters and cards to P.O. Box 3700, Newtown, CT 06470.
A former Sandy Hook Elementary School student named Ryan Kraft, also a longtime neighbor of the Lanza family, posted a Local Voices blog on Newtown Patch saying he set up a fund to help heal his community.
The link to the fund site is here — http://www.crowdrise.com/SHSRelief — and according to Kraft, all monies are directed toward the school's PTSA organization.
- Victims Relief Fund set up by former SHS student and Lanza family neighbor
- United Way's Sandy Hook Support Fund Announcement
- Checks may also be dropped off at any Newtown Savings Bank branch location.
- How to Donate With a Credit Card
More links to Newtown Patch’s coverage here:
- Reaction: Sandy Hook School Shooting
- Police Raid Sandy Hook Home Hours After Shooting
- [PHOTOS] Newtown School Shooting