The City of Alexandria and the Virginia Health Department offer these tips for salvaging food after a power outage.
- Perishable, refrigerated foods such as meats, fish, poultry, and all dairy products that have been without refrigeration and have been above 41ºF for more than two hours should be discarded.
- Any perishable food from the freezer that has thawed for more than two hours and is above 41ºF should be discarded.
- Any food item discarded should be disposed of in well tied double‐bagged plastic garbage bags.
- After the power returns, it is OK to refreeze frozen foods that still contain ice crystals and are below 41ºF. This includes meats, fish, vegetables and cheeses.
- A well‐functioning freezer that remains unopened and is at least half-full will keep foods cold for about 24 hours.