Did George Washington chop down a cherry tree? We're not sure. What we do know? The winners of the sixth annual "Cherry Challenge," announced by the George Washington Birthday Celebration Committee.
Some 30 Alexandria restaurants participated this year in the culinary contest, from Feb. 2-8, with residents voting for their favorite cherry drinks, starters, entrees and desserts.
Here are the winners of the sixth annual "Cherry Challenge":
- Beverage: Society Fair, located in Old Town
- (Honorable Mention: Tempo, located in Alexandria's West End)
- Appetizer: Evening Star, located in Del Ray
- (no Honorable Mention)
- Entree: Notting Hill, located in Old Town
- (Honorable Mentions: Southside 815, Murphy's, all located in Old Town)
- Dessert: LaPorta's, located in Old Town
- (Honorable Mentions: Mount Vernon Inn, located in Mount Vernon, Tempo, located in Alexandria's West End, and Majestic, located in Old Town)
Patch will follow up with the names of the winning dishes, which were not immediately available.
In addition to award plaques, the winners of the competition received invitations to march in the George Washington Birthday parade taking place Monday. The names of the winning restaurants and featured menu items will be announced from the parade grandstand.
Each person who ordered the dish or menu item was supplied with a ballot so that they could judge the menu item on taste, presentation and creativity. Scoring was done by rating both the number of ballots submitted, and how each dish rated in the palates of the citizens who ordered the items.