Mark Sickles, who chairs the House Democratic Caucus, kicked off his campaign for Congress over the weekend with help from local lawmakers who have endorsed the candidate.
Sickles was joined on the weekend by state Sen. Toddy Puller, Lee District Supervisor Jeff McKay and a packed house of supporters for his campaign kickoff at the Franconia home of Susie Warner, retiring Congressman Jim Moran’s District director.
Sickles and Euille are two of the 11 Democrats running; the Democratic primary is June 10.
Micah Edmond is the lone Republican in the race. He also kicked off his campaign over the weekend, at Union Street Public House in Alexandria, to a packed room. (Read about Edmond's background and experience in this National Review article, published in January.)
In remarks at his kick-off, Sickles said: “Congress is dysfunctional, but it simply cannot remain that way. I will bring a collaborative approach, maintaining our strong Democratic core values while at that same time finding places to make progress for our country.
"Last year, I worked with people from all around Virginia and of all political stripes to pass the bipartisan transportation bill, resulting in the largest infrastructure investment in Virginia history," he said. "With 27 years of federal advocacy, I ask you for your help to bring that same experience and effectiveness to Washington to make progress for our Region and economy."
Sickles advocated raising the minimum wage, restoring the Voting Rights Act and continuing to improve transportation.
Euille signed a "clean campaign pledge" at his kick-off Monday night.
"Proud to have written and signed the Clean Campaign Pledge tonight at my kickoff," he wrote on his Facebook page.
"I ask that all of my colleagues running for VA-8 to sign as well," he said. "As Democrats, we are all part of a bigger family!"
- Don Beyer Wins Straw Poll Among Democrats Running in 8th District Primary
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Virginia Del. Mark Sickles Announces He's Gay
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors