Nearly 40 vessels lit up the Potomac River on Saturday night for the 14th annual Holiday Boat Parade of Lights in Alexandria.
Spectators lined the shore and City Marina as the boats vied for prizes in 11 categories.
The event’s Best in Show went to Firefly, a 25-foot sailboat featuring a tribute to the classic holiday film “A Christmas Story,” complete with a leg-shaped lamp and a crew dressed in pink rabbit pajamas.
The Colonel’s Lady snagged Most Animated with the theme “Moonwalking Dinosaur” after transforming into a massive Tyrannosaurus with light-strung legs that grooved to the music.
The yacht Act of Grace took the prize for Thinking Outside the Christmas Box with a giant menorah protruding from its deck.
The complete list of 2013 winners:
- Best in Show — Firefly, Cpt. Dave Easter
- Best Sailboat — Stargazer, Cpt. Susan Antoinette
- Best Powerboat — Tar Keel, Cpt. Justin Chambers
- Most Animated — The Colonel’s Lady, Cpt. Matt Martelli
- Most Holiday Cheer — Morale Gear, Cpt. Jodie Knox
- Thinking Outside the Christmas Box — Act of Grace, Cpt. Walter Weiss
- Hardiest Souls — Triple Trouble, Cpt. John Mein
- Best Theme — Jobsite, Cpts. Darrell & Claudia Edgar
- Most Spirited Crew — Unusual Attitude, Cpt. Jeffrey Leach
- Best Spirit of America — Plan B, Cpt. Samuel Hepford
- Best Try — Pistrix, Cpt. Doug Wood
- Honorable Mention — Wii Fish, Cpt. Valerie Whitcomb
- Honorable Mention — Big Blind, Cpt. David Hays
WTOP’s Bob Madigan emceed the parade. Judges included Jody Manor of Bittersweet Café and Catering and the Waterfront Market, Willem Polak of the Potomac Riverboat Company, Stephanie Landrum of the Alexandria Economic Development Partnership and Dee Beresford from the Old Dominion Boat Club Board of Governors.
The boat parade was sponsored by the Old Dominion Boat Club in partnership with the Washington Waterfront Association with support from the Alexandria Convention and Visitors Association.
The parade cruised by DC’s Southwest Waterfront after its swing through Alexandria on Saturday night.