The original Christ Church rectory on Princess Street in Old Town Alexandria is for sale.
It's a three story, free standing, brick Georgian-style building originally used in 1785 as the rectory for Alexandria’s Christ Church and occupied by the Rev. David Griffith, who was the church's third rector. General George Washington, a parishioner at the church and soon to be first president of the United States, is thought to have spent time here on occasions, dining with the reverend and perhaps attending soirees in the ballroom, according to realty firm Tartan Properties.
Take a virtual tour of Old Town Alexandria's 711 Princess Street, which has been home to other notable owners. In the 19th century, a wealthy family of ship owners resided here with interests in the east coast and San Francisco.
At the turn of the 20th century, the Boothe family took ownership as they built careers in law and politics. Armistead Boothe, who became a Virginia state senator, was born and raised in the house. In 1960, he co-founded the law firm Boothe Prichard and Dudley, which brought the first commercial use of the property. They eventually merged to form the largest law firm in Virginia; McGuire Woods Battle and Boothe. For close to 50 years, the building has housed law offices and an advertising agency.
For the quickest updates, sign up for the Old Town Alexandria Patch daily email newsletter, Like Old Town Alexandria Patch on Facebook and Follow @alexandriapatch on Twitter.
In the 1960s, the Metropolitan Museum of Art attempted to purchase the front door of the building for its American Wing Exhibit. The owners at the time declined the offer. In 1985, after extensive renovations, the ad agency Williams Whittle took title.
The current asking price for the 5,827-square-foot property, currently used as an office building, is $2.85 million through Tartan Properties Commercial.
The location is available for commercial or residential use.