A Sunday morning fire in Chatham Square in Old Town Alexandria caused an estimated $100,000 in damage.
Shortly after 11 a.m., Alexandria fire crews responded to a report of a third-floor fire in a townhome in the 400 block of Cook Street. The fire started in a sitting room and moved to the back deck of the building, according to an Alexandria Fire Department spokesperson.
Crews were able to quickly extinguish the blaze with the assistance of the building’s sprinkler system. There were no injuries in the incident.
The AFD spokesperson said the fire was accidental. The home was condemned, mainly because of water damage, the spokesperson said. The residents had another placed to stay and declined relocation services from the Red Cross, according to the AFD spokesperson.
The fire caused an estimated $80,000 in structural damage and the contents of the home were valued at $20,000.