An Old Town woman is being treated for second- and third-degree burns on 80 percent of her body following an accident involving a backyard fireplace, according to WTOP.
A 53-year-old woman attempted to light an outdoor fireplace at her home in the 300 block of N. Fayette Street on Saturday night when an accumulation of vapors from the fuel created a flash fire.
The Alexandria Fire Department responded to the incident. The victim was transported to the burn unit at Washington Hospital Center.
Her condition is not known, according to WTOP.