At Golden Rhodes on King Street, antique collections on display in the front room glow with the touch of gold and create the setting for the real heart of this shop – the historic craft of gilding and restoring gilt surfaces.
Owner and master gilder Charles Rhodes trained in London and practiced his craft internationally before opening Golden Rhodes nine years ago. Rhodes found quite a need for his conservation skills here amid the institutions, galleries, museums and historical interiors of the area, with Old Town as the ideal hub of operations.
Much of the work at Golden Rhodes involves 18th and 19th century antiques for local galleries and residences. Gilt restoration is done on site or in the open shop at the back of Golden Rhodes, where you'll find works in progress and stacks of ornate frames awaiting their turn with the gilder.
The business has 20 years of experience and has worked on the Theatre Royal Haymarket; the Nordic museum in Stockholm; restoration of the frame for Van Gogh's The Sunflowers prior to its auction at Christie's; and locally, the Georgetown Post Office interior, to name a few. If it's gold you're after, all roads lead to Golden Rhodes in Old Town.
- Hours: Mon - Fri, noon - 5pm; Sat, 10am - 5pm, by appointment; Sun, closed
- Founding Date: 2001
- Payments accepted: Cash, MasterCard, Visa
- Products: Vintage furnishings, accessories, gold-rimmed glassware, gilt-edged porcelain, golden-toned glass vases, gilded antique furniture, frames, footed boxes, clocks, light fixtures, wall brackets
- Parking: On-street: free, On-street: metered, Paid lot
- Antiques specialties: Restoration and conservation of antique gilded surfaces.