Silverman Galleries Antiques & Antique Jewelry
Silverman Galleries sells antiques, with a focus on the 18th and early 19th centuries. Founder Maurice Silverman first opened his gallery on Capitol Hill in 1958 and moved to Virginia in 1964, settling in Old Town in 1967. Today he operates the gallery with his wife, Angela.
Period art hangs from the walls of the Silverman Galleries; beautifully preserved and polished antique furniture crowds the floor; tea services and silver-capped walking twinkle in the display cabinets; but it is the jewelry that is clearly the Silvermans’ true love.
Maurice developed an appreciation of fine jewelry from his father, a skilled platinum-smith; today, jewelry comprises about half of the Silverman Gallery’s business, especially antique which Silverman says have proven popular with socially conscious young people who like the delicate workmanship as well as knowing they are not getting involved with bloody diamonds.
- Hours: Thu, Sat, noon - 5:30pm; Sun - Wed, Fri,by appointment
- Founding Date: 1958 on Capitol Hill
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, MasterCard, Visa
- Parking: On-street: free, On-street: metered
- What makes this community special?: The conservation and preservation of the 18th and 19th Century heritage and the activities that make Alexandria a unique city.
- What is one question to ask before buying an antique or collectible?: Ask where to get educated to know about antiques before you buy.
- Antiques specialties: Jewelry, especially engagement rings
- Antiques services: Appraisal, Consignment
- Vintage: Yes
- Jewelry & watch services: Appraisal
- What's your customer service philosophy?: We will bend over backwards to make sure our customers are happy with what they have purchased.