Susan Sanders Original Jewelry
Susan Sanders is one of the original Torpedo Factory artists. She is primarily a goldsmith, specializing in hammered gold rings and wedding and engagement bands, often with stone inlays. Sanders is the only area jeweler to apply the Intarsia technique to her craft.
She also makes cufflinks, earrings and pins – some with amazing trompe l'oiel designs. Sanders enjoys experimenting with different materials and has branched into fiber, displaying a colorful array of silk necklaces on the walls of her studio.
Sanders' design aesthetic favors bold geometrics, reflecting her background as an industrial design major. She began making jewelry in college and the Torpedo Factory was just opening when she graduated into a very tough job market. "It came down to a choice between jewelry and washing machines," she says. "I chose jewelry."
- Hours: Closed Tue
- Handicap Accessible: There's an elevator as well as a ramp at the back entrance.
- Founding Date: 1974
- Payments accepted: American Express, Cash, Discover, MasterCard, Personal Check, Visa
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Parking: On-street: free, On-street: metered, Paid lot
- What makes this community special?: Alexandria has the feel of a small town with the benefits of a big city. The Torpedo Factory has a lot to do with what makes Alexandria a great place to live. It is a great community of artists.
- Original design / hand-made?: Yes
- Part of a chain: No