The Art League, Inc.
Gallery: 703-683-1780; School Office: 703-683-2323; Store: 703-548-8127
The Art League is a nonprofit organization that has provided various art-related services to the community since its opening in 1954. It is made up of a gallery, a school, a store and various art programs, including a fellowship for artists. The public can visit the gallery to see unique exhibitions by talented professional artists. The Art League School, which focuses on crafts and fine arts, caters to everyone from beginners to more skilled artists.
If you're a member or a student of the Art League, take advantage of discounts at the store, which is staffed by professionals ready and willing to help you find the correct supplies.
In addition to its other services, the Art League also runs a program called A Space of Her Own (SOHO), a 16-week program for at-risk, preteen girls in Alexandria.
- Fax: 703-683-5786
- Hours: School hours: Mon - Sat, 10am - 5pm. Store hours: Mon - Sat, 9:15am - 4pm (when classes are in session); Mon - Sat, 10am - 4pm (when classes are not in session); Sun, 10am - 4pm. Evening hours: Tue - Wed, 6:30pm - 7:30pm (when classes are in session).
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: 1954
- Payments accepted: Debit Card, Discover, MasterCard, Visa
- Services: Classes
- Public restrooms: Yes
- Is there a particular focus for this gallery?: Visual arts
- Art specialties: Multimedia, Painting, Prints, Sculpture
- Number of students: 6,000
- Number of faculty: More than 140 instructors; approximately 30 other faculty members
- How engaged is the school with the community?: The Art League is extremely engaged with the community and relies on donations to stay open.